09 April 2012

Reworking Patterns

I've never seen the appeal of reusing patterns for clothing. Half the fun of sewing, after all, is in coming up with a new design and then working through its technicalities in three-dimensional space. But in February I took a pattern for a shirt I'd made last year and adjusted it for the blue jacket that I mentioned in my last post - and really? The entire process was just a whole lot of fun.

The original shirt - think of a tunic or a jumper - is made of twill suiting, with light cotton side panels, while the outer shell of the jacket is entirely in a rough wool, which probably explains why I didn't feel like I was just repeating myself. The jacket also added a hood, and fitted sleeves, and pockets, and was lined, and was split down the front with a buttoned panel...so that might also be why I didn't feel like I was just repeating myself. I'm satisfied with the way I didn't feel like I was just repeating myself.

Moving on, this is the original shirt.

twill cotton tunic shirt

...And this is the jacket...

hooded lined herringbone wool jacket

...And this is the jacket with its patterned silk lining gloriously exposed.

silk lining

...Up next, strawberry turnovers! (Despite the lack of connection to either literature or sewing!)


No comments:

Post a Comment